Thursday 24 October 2019

Plumbing the Heights



I've been experimenting with a gyrocopter combat game. I've had most of these models hanging around for ages from when I played Wings of War with them, so I thought I would try to make some new rules.

I tried to make altitude an important part of the rules, and I find that in other dogfight games I've played altitude is usually an optional extra that is tacked on, and often not that satisfying. One of the reasons for this is probably the practical difficulty in getting a decent altitude representation on the table.

So I went to B&Q and got a load of 40mm floplast pipes. I've weighted the bases and magnetised the tops, and used different lengths of pipe for filling. This has worked surprisingly well and has turned out remarkably stable (these gyrocopters are notoriously fragile in any case). I have 6 effective altitudes atm which is more than I was expecting, and I reckon I could still get a couple more (if I buy another pipe) and it would remain sufficiently stable.

The game is also shaping up well, and is the sort of fun free-for-all combat game you might expect with gyrocopters.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment