Tuesday 9 July 2019

Saga: Anglo-Danes + Polish + AoM




I played a trial game of historical Saga crossed with Age of Magic. I used my Anglo-Danes as some sort of spider cult with a big Behemoth spider and three smaller spiders as biped Creatures. (I decided spiders should be biped Creatures as their ability to not take fatigue in uneven ground felt a bit more spidery to me than the extra speed of quadruped Creatures. Actually I think Imay have had this rule wrong. Now, I believe quadruped Creatures do not suffer fatigue for uneven terrain, so in future I will field these as Quadrupeds.) I added a monk-type as a Sorceror, which left me with 4 1/2 points to spend on standard Anglo-Danes.



GW River Trolls make perfect Vodyanoy, so they worked well as biped Creatures in a Polish warband. The bishop of Bath and Wells came in as their Sorceror, which left 4 points for standard Poles.



As the Anglo-Dane BB can add fatigue to their opponents, I chose a bunch of spells that also added fatigue, and thought that would be a decent synergy.


The Poles also went for annoying sabotage type spells, and also Laying on Hands, because of the enemy's fatigue abilities.


The game was a cagey affair, and probably because of all the sabotage type spells, not very brutal. The Poles managed to pick off enough foes to win, helped by one unit of Vodyanoy massacring the spider Creatures.

I kinda expected the battle to be wild and unpredictable, using all these elements that aren't supposed to go together, but actually things went quite sedately and unspectacular. Not sure if it was the army combos and negative spells or the battle plans, or just that there's nothing particularly unpredictable about this sort of game. I might try this again with the same armies and see how it goes, or maybe try a few more different armies.






No comments:

Post a Comment