Saturday 19 August 2017

Savannah Laugh



I decided to make a Savannah table for my Maasai, for Congo. I used a load of teddy bear fur as the basis for the 6'x4' mat. After checking out a few tutorials, I spent days shaving away at the fur with some hair clippers, before I felt it was short enough to work, and even then I gave up before it was really finished.

I made some rocks out of foam, for the impassable, high terrain, which ended up looking like bread rolls.

For the dense cover I just used off-cuts of fur. I'm not sure whether they look better on their own, or with the green jungle plantlife things. I guess for savannah they should really just be longer grass.

I was quite pleased with the huts, though. I liked the way the fur worked when brushed with PVA. I want to try out the same technique with a medieval style thatched roof, now.

Not really sure I like the finished product, though, and the long grass is so long that it's often difficult to stand the minis up properly.

And to compound it all, just as I was nearly finished, I discovered that the 6'x4' table required in the rulebook, is actually a typo, and it actually requires only 3'x4'.





2 comments:

  1. I think the teddy bear fur looks a treat! I might have to skin one of my kid's old bears and try it out myself... Maybe try dying it green to give it a more meadow style appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We played a couple of games on it at the weekend, and it played a lot better than I thought it might. We didn't have much of a problem with minis falling over.

      I'd definitely consider doing another one with a more European look.

      Delete